I put the EAR in the /apps folder and made the fix in tomee.xml:
<Deployments dir="apps" />

It deployed OK.

Now I'm having a mystery error when trying to use the app.

I'm getting killed in the EEFilter class:
javax.servlet.ServletException: Filter execution threw an exception
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:199)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:165)

        at
org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:192)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:165)

        at
org.apache.openejb.server.httpd.EEFilter.doFilter(EEFilter.java:65)

The exception i'm seeing in the debugger is:

java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
javax.ws.rs.core.Response.getStatusInfo()Ljavax/ws/rs/core/Response$StatusType;

That's a dead end in the JVM in my head - what's up?