This usually indicates you have the same class loaded into 2 different
classloaders which makes them different.
In this scenario, I would check if you don't have duplicate xalan jars in
tomee/lib and in the WEB-INF/lib of your application.

Hope it helps

--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro