Hi

I was wondering if anyone else could see the benefit of being able to activate and de-activate specific DNS records. Similar to the activate and de-activate domain feature except for a specific record. Obviously all records would be activated by default.

I will explain my reason. I have just written a few PHP pages to function as a dynamic DNS service. (You will probably ask why when there are so many free ones , well quite simply because overseas access is not always reliable enough in South Africa) What I started thinking was now I could use this service for mail spooling , but straight away I realized that it would not be reliable since the records would be incorrect if the client machine was off-line. What I came up with was if I removed the record if it had not been updated for X minutes then I would never hand out incorrect DNS records. But rather than deleting and re-creating records I would prefer to just run an activation/de-activation routine . Then all I would need is a cron job looking at all my dynamic DNS entries and de-activating ones that are more than X minutes old leaving the static records in place and mail backing up on secondary MX server.

I know this is long winded , but I figured if I spelled it out clearly enough someone else might also think it wasn't such a bad idea.

Regards
Dean