> i dont think this is needed. your custom converter should include a null
> check.

But I do not use custom converter. In my case it is about a simple String or
Integer or whatever...
So, you suggest to create a custom converter for each case where I disable
the form component on the server-side?

Also, keeping in sync client-side with server-side, means that I need to
make an ajax round-trip just to update the field disable state on the
server.. IMO it is unnecessary overhead.

Maybe we can find a compromise regarding this issue?