I just lost a few hours on a problem where an ajax operation on a Panel nested in a Fragment was failing as my nested panel could not find its associated markup. It seems this was because a Fragment will only reliably find its markup if you explicitly provide it with the Component that contains its markup in the Fragment constructor.

If you don't, Fragment.getAssociatedMarkupStream() will find its markupProvider field is null, and so have to take a guess at where its markup might be. If your fragment usage happens to be as a direct child of the component that defines the fragment markup then it will all work out, but if you have nested it in something like a ListView then it will fail.

...So watch out kids, if you use fragments, use a constructor that tells it where its markup is. Would you like to have to guess who your real parents are? I think not.

Oli