This is not really related to wicket, since your properties file is
available in your classpath, you should be able to get it as a resource.
Something like:
Properties props=new Properties () ;
props.load (
getClass().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/conf/database.properties") ) ;

If you're in a static method of class initializer, you'll need to refer to
the class using MyClass.class before the getResourceAsStream(). Note that
you can actually use any Class object, since the path to the resource is
absolute (starting with a slash).

HTH,

Xavier