Hi Eelco,

Thanks for the thorough response (as usual). We're almost done converting from Tap 4 to Wicket 1.2 and we'll look into migrating to 1.3 pretty soon. I was planning on reverting to the HttpSessionStore immediately because I assumed the new disk-based store(s) traded performance for memory efficiency (and we have the luxury of not really caring about RAM usage due to a limited number of users in a LAN-only environment).

An old benchmark that Jonathan posted (http://www.jroller.com/ JonathanLocke/entry/how_fast_is_wicket) suggested the HttpSessionStore was noticeably faster, but I know there have been a lot of performance improvements since then.

I've been pretty cynical about the whole idea of a disk-based store, actually. It always seemed like "jumping a fence" into a servlet container/app server's area of responsibility (had a slightly nasty argument with Johan about that). While it always sounded like a cool and very powerful/useful *option* to build into the framework, I never thought it would be a clear winner over HttpSessionStore. My main fear was that it would lead to a kind of split between some people using one store and some the other, and that it might cascade further into the framework (e.g. design x is a better fit with SLCSS but design y is better for HttpSessionStore) ultimately becoming a big drag for you guys.

So that's a long way of saying: damn, I'm impressed. Not only is 1-2ms negligible, it sounds like the SLCSS is a conceptually simpler approach. Oh, and sorry to Johan for being a skeptic. ;)

-Ryan