Please hijack away.

I have been quite happy with Wasp and Swarm. It's simple and painless but quite flexible. The examples are the life saver though. To be honest, the security framework is why I chose to use Wicket for this project instead of Tapestry.

I am however having a few issues figuring out some "best practices" that maybe you or some other experienced Wasp/Swarm users may be able to shed some light on.

1. Where would you store a reference to the logged in user. Currently have it in a DetachableModel in a custom session. There has to be a better place to put the user reference that fits more directly with the security framework.

2. I very much like your SecureTab example but something like a SecurePanelLink within the framework would be helpful. I have been working on my own that mirrors the SecurePageLink as much as possible but it is still a bit wonky. This is helpful because once you get into a tab layout, navigation to other panels that are not directly attached to a tab becomes annoying at best. I am working through it but seems like someone must have solved this issues a few times over in an elegant fashion. Maybe some kind of "panel stack" with tab integration?

3. I don't understand the DataPermissions, configuration and their use cases. I must admit I have not spent the time to dig through the example extensively but I don't understand the use cases enough to know why I would want to spend the time.

4. I am working on an application that will eventually have very complicated permission structure. Right now I am fumbling a solution together for phase one. Eventually I would like to be able to "filter" the date returned to a user based on some permissions while not coupling the security layer to the Dao's to tightly. A typical structure would be as follows:

O - Organisation
U - User

     /  / \  \
   /   |   |   \
  U U U O
             /  |  \
           U O O
           U U  U  U

Consider a use case where you have a hierarchy of Financial Transaction Processors with the following 2 user types/principals:

Customer Service - Allowed to see transactions and act on them if the transactions are for their direct organisation Billing - Allowed to see transaction and act on them for their direct organisation and any sub-organisations

The final goal would be to have an interface much like that in the wicket-phonebook example where the DataProvider ( or something else ) would feed the appropriate results out of the hibernate dao's into the DataTable based on the users permissions.

Any clues to some elegant approach?

-Anthony