Not entirely true, you can call setMaxInactiveInterval on the Http session.

http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/2.2/javadoc/javax/servlet/http/HttpSession.html#setMaxInactiveInterval(int)

There is a Wicket trick to get hold of the HTTP session. You can search for
it in the mailing list or on the wiki.

Regards.
    Erik.

--