Performance on the client side is very important when you are working with
very large DOM (complex applications). The responsiveness of the application
is very important in this cases.

Yes, I'm using ajax. I don't find it as a big drawback to set the
outputMarkupId to true when I need explicitly a component to have generated
Id.