That worked perfectly.  Thanks for the point in the right direction.  For
anyone looking for information on a similar problem, a change in
Wicket-Extensions 1.3 beta 4 requires users to pass a FilterForm to a
FilterToolbar when it is constructed.  If your table already uses components
like a CheckGroup, your DataTable should already be wrapped in a Form of
some sort.  Simply changing that Form to a FilterForm will allow you to use
that form for both a CheckGroup and the FilterToolbar.  But be aware that
you will now have to manually add a "focus-tracker" and "focus-restore"
component to your markup.  The corresponding objects are added on the Java
side by the FilterToolbar.  An example, can be found at
https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/trunk/wicket-phonebook/src/java/wicket/contrib/phonebook/web/page/ListContactsPage.html