> It would be quite feasible to add support for multiple overridden
> sections using the above tag names while remaining backwards compatible
> with existing markup by continuing to support the old <child/extends>
> tags working the way they always have.

It's kind of a predictable answer, but the best way to push new ideas
forward is to supply us with a patch, so that we can discuss some
working code. The current committers don't see much in the idea, but
that doesn't mean they wouldn't want to support at least the option of
plugging this in. And hey, maybe some working code convinces us :-)

Eelco