Ok here is a bit more clarity after digging further.  Timed out sessions do
trigger a removal of the of the PageStore file.  However if Tomcat is
restarted there is no cleanup of the PageStore files on disk.  In other
words the Page Store will leak those cache files and never clean them up.
>From these results, here are my questions now on all of this:

1)  Shall we file a Jira for a enhancement to the DiskPageStore which would
be a cleanup of any dangling cache files not part of the current
DiskPageStore instance?

2)  I am stlll trying to figure out how to limit the max number of
directories and or files created by the DiskPageStore.  I am less concerned
about max sizes of sessions and page map and more concerned about the numer
of directories/files - any ideas?

thanks all for your quick responses and insight.