In my opinion, Wicket's cons evolve over time, as your experience with the
framework increases.  An early con I ran into was simply the size of the
framework - Wicket has a large API.  Once I understood where things were and
how they were structured, the size of the framework wasn't a problem.

Coming from a heavy Struts background, I was a little surprised to find
myself so insulated from the servlet APIs.  You still have access if you
need it, but you rarely do.  Not really a con, more of a function of how
Wicket works.  (One side effect of not needing access to the servlet API is
applications feel less like a collection of hacks and more like
engineering.)

Understanding models and state within Wicket also took some time, but I
think that's mostly because of how much Struts development I suffered
through.  Had I done any Swing development, I'm sure getting my head around
models would've been easier.

Now that I've used Wicket for a while, one problem I run into is not quite
being able to customize things like I'd wish without duplicating existing
framework code.  However, the developers are pretty good about entertaining
my (often inane) requests.

Your comment about needing a good grasp of OOP makes sense in only one
regard - it's harder to find great talent.  Being able to flex some
development muscle results in tighter code, more reuse and it's much more
fun.

Honestly, I don't find many cons when developing with Wicket.  What you
might call cons I call framework inexperience.