Timo Rantalaiho wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Gerolf Seitz wrote:
you can call setMarkupId(String) in the constructor of your components.
just make sure that the ids are unique in a single page.

This works sometimes, and is a good idea. Having stable HTML
ids for unique HTML elements also makes facilitates good CSS styling, I understand.

However, when this is not practical, you can omit the HTML id altogether from the markup, because then Selenium IDE will automatically look for other ways of identifying the element. These are typically xpath expressions operating on the DOM tree. You can of course also write them yourself to the test script, if you like xpath ;)

When using Selenium in a more white-box-way, testing single
components within developer tests, there is also the possibility of getting the dynamic markup id directly from the component object. This can be done at least with SeleniumTestCase of Wicket Bench and I believe also with jdave-wicket-selenium
  http://www.jdave.org/modules.html

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, they sound very useful :)

Cheers

Niels