PermGen is a region of memory maintained by the JVM for things like
class definitions. The default size is notoriously small for web apps,
and you can easily run out, especially if you re-deploy the application
multiple times without restarting the app server.

Try re-starting Tomcat rather than just re-deploying the app. If that
doesn't work, add the following option to the command line for starting
Tomcat:

-XX:PermSize=50m

This gives you a 50 meg PermGen area. Increase as necessary.

jk