It's not wicket that is looking for classes, it's your browser's java plugin.
If you use the archive attribute like you do, the jars are searched in the
same 'directory' as the page is where the applet tag is defined.
e.g. www.example.com/foo/bar/appletpage.html contains your
code, your java plugin searches the jars as
www.example.com/foo/bar/jfreechart-1.0.8.jar
etc.
so, you need to make sure the jar urls are correct, e.g. by defining the
jar urls relative or fully qualified using an AttributeModifier for
the archive attribute
(for wicket 1.3 at least, i'm not familiar with 1.2).