Fair question. Why return the Id, instead of just using a Property model to
bind the member field of an object to a child component's model?

Thanks for your insight.

Yevgeni: If you do that you will have to have an object (can be the same one
that extends DropDownChoice) implement IChoiceRenderer, so that you can see
the field you are interested in on the dropdown. And also do not forget to
say
setChoiceRenderer(this);
In the constructor.