On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 12:13 +0100, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> So your advise is to run a *very* outdated version because the packagers
> haven't updated their software?
> Sounds like a great way to open up your system to hackers.

That's a very broad and sweeping statement.

        1) I'm sure if there were known issues the distro package maintainer
*should* issue an update with a fix
        2) Looking at http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html it appears 5.x
is still supported

I'll agree that a best practice to use latest stable, but not all
organizations get it right living on the bleeding edge of custom
packages and SVN Trunk or CVS HEAD if you prefer..

I'm trying to give sensible advice that is generic enough to not lead
someone astray or with other caveats which could result in bad pratices
or more problems down the road.

Now if I look at his original email and wonder why deb is still on
5.5.20-2etch1 when the apache site lists 5.5.25 as current I have no
idea.

./C