Why are new sessions created until wicket finds a form?

I have a Session subclass that has a field clicks.

On page A I grab the session and show the number of clicks. Everytime I refresh the click count is 0, and the newSession method is called in WebApplication.

add(new Label("clickCount", ((HelloSession)getSession()).getClickCount()));

getClickCount() return clicks++;

If I head to page B that has a form on it the session sticks, and my click count starts to increment and the calls to newSession end.

So my question is, why is newSession called repeatedly until I hit a form and how do I change this behavior (or am I missing something fundamental here)

Thanks, Damian