Just finished testing your classes using my 1.3.1 development code and
both your way and my way work, as it should.
I don't get why using the permission instead of the permission name
does not work for you.

I did however just think of 1 caveat in using the permission name
instead of the permission.
This might not be relevant for you (since you have a very small policy
file), but if anybody else is following this thread it might be
relevant to them.
If your policy file contains a principal "foo" with action "render"
for principal "p1" and a permission "foo" with action "enable" for
principal "p2"
your hive will return both principals p1 and p2 eventhough you did
hive.getPrincipals(new ...Permission("foo","enable").
In this scenario it should only return p2 and not p1.

Maurice