Answering my own questions.

I can also pass the search panel to the results page from my form onSubmit:

        setResponsePage(new SearchResults(((PanelSearch)this.getParent()),
search));

Then, in the results page:

       public SearchResults(PanelSearch searchPanel, Search search) {
                add(searchPanel);
        }

Mostly seems to work OK - panel on results page retains state from search
page.

Still getting some weird behaviour with the Ajax dropdowns on page refreshes
- can get crazy state of North America, Canada, Kansas if I refresh the page
between selection changes (old state gets mixed in with partial new state)

Other thing to sort is how to reload panel state if user goes back to the
home page (containing search panel) via a basic external navigation link -
panel will be in its initial blank state.  Perhaps I do need to look into

But I'm starting to like Wicket - this kind of stuff takes much more code in
other frameworks.