Stefan Fußenegger wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I'd suggest not to use Spring to manage panels. You should rather create a
> new panel for every page and request. You should use Spring to manage your
> services and inject those into your panels.
>
> Best regards, Stefan

Hi Stephan :) (I work with Tom)

We have a work around for this specific problem, and it still involves
spring, but not using panels directly.

Basically the situation is as follows.

We have a main wicket project which is published as a jar.

There are also other modules also published as "plugin" jars.

We launch these with an embedded jetty instance.

The problem is the Main project contains the page instances, and the other
jars contain the panels.

The Main project has no idea about which panels are available, as these will
be determined at run time by whatever has been configured (thru spring).
The main jar has no knowledge of which panel classes exist - so we cannot
really instantiate new ones using plain old java.

There are a few ways to approach this, ie, having some class loader which
resolves given string "class references", and those strings are wired in
through spring.  This works - but feels a bit hacky.

Our workaround is .. somewhat similar - we basically have a panel factory in
the plugin that instantiate a panel and return it.  We can then wire these
panel factories thru spring to a given page.

This turns out to be quite elegant - however it would be nice if we had the
ability to wire "plugin" panels to the main jar directly without this
factory.

Rgds

Ned