I have a page with many buttons to do different things. I decided the best
strategy was to setup the default page via a call to setReponsePage at the
start of the page and then overrride this in the onSubmit method for each
button.

This appears not to work. However, if I set a value of the default page and
override this value in the onSubmit method of each button and then only call
the setResponsePage in the obSubmit method for the form then it works. I've
also tried only making the call to setResponsePage in the onSubmit or
onClick methods and this works.

In summary, a call to setReponsePage outside of an onSubmit or onClick
appears to have no effect.

Is this correct and if so why? I can't find any docs to suggest not using
this strategy.