On 4/4/08, Dan Kaplan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My URL ends with ;jsessionid=an7goabg0az (my actual situation).  I
> personally think that looks weirder than .php or .asp.

Nah, it shows that you are using Java. Much more sophisticated!

>  Where did you get that 0.5% statistic?  Regardless, my users won't see ANY
>  url if my site is on the 50th page of the search.  That's the important
>  issue here.

I made the 0.5% statistic up. Developers are notoriously anal about
URL's where John and Jane Doe typically just use the google search box
as their URL bar. Did you ever look at the URLs of Amazon? they are
not pretty, and you'd need to have a very weird jsessionid to
overthrow Amazon's URL scheme on the ugly scale.

Where's the proof that Google punishes you for having a jsessionid in the URL?

>>  I think you need to give the google engineers *some* credit. I
>>  seriously doubt they are *THAT* stupid.
> These links suggest otherwise:
>  http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3238326.htm
>  http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/5624.htm
>  http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/5479.htm
>  http://randomcoder.com/articles/jsessionid-considered-harmful

These links are from 2002 (over 5 years ago). Wicket wasn't even born
then. I surely hope that technology has evolved since then.

Anyway, I'm glad I don't have to build apps that require SEO or public
bots that navigate our sites. In fact if that ever happened, I think
our company would instantly be very famous (we deal with privacy
sensitive information that should stay out of Google/Yahoo/LiveSeach's

Martijn