I'm using wicket-spring-annot and ran into a small problem with maven
dependencies.  The wicket-spring-annot project depends on wicket-spring.

Wicket-spring in turn depends on the entire monolithic spring.jar instead of
the now-preferred spring-core.jar.  This caused a problem in my environment
in that it pulled spring 2.0 down whereas I'm already using spring 2.5.  In
the future, the wicket-spring team may wish to pull this dependency or use
spring-core.

  <dependency>
      <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
      <artifactId>spring</artifactId>
  </dependency>

Anyhow, to not pull this in, I utilized the exclusions feature of maven:

  <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.wicket</groupId>
      <artifactId>wicket-spring-annot</artifactId>
      <version>1.3.3</version>
      <!-- exclude spring framework that wicket pulls in -->
      <exclusions>
        <exclusion>
          <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
          <artifactId>spring</artifactId>