@1: There is also the session timeout of your appserver (I think the default
for most app servers is 30 minutes).... In my experience it is not very user
friendly if pages take that long to render... A better approach is I think
to use some Ajax stuff as you describe in your second question.

@2: There is a progressbar component available in wicketstuff:
http://wicketstuff.org/confluence/display/STUFFWIKI/wicketstuff-progressbar.
I don't have any experience with it though...

Hope this helps,

Lars