John Patterson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am extending the PagingNavigatation and need to access some member
> variables to create my page links.  Because these links are created in
> PagingNavigatation's constructor me subclasses newPagingNavigationLink()
> method is called before my subclasses member variables are initialised.  I
> realised that this situation must occur quite often when extending any
> class that allows subclasses to provide or override any components.
>
> Does anyone have a nice workaround?
>
> It seems to me that creating the pages component tree in some kind of
> initialisation step would make classes easier to extend.  Or is there
> already a method that should be used to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

I had similar problems, when I worked with DefaultDataTable and needed to
have custom PagingNavigation.
For example, DefaultDataTable has no factory methods for creating custom
PagingNavigation
so I had to copy-paste it and change some minor parts of the class. But it
was very easy and I take
the default implementations as an example how to work with them.

S&S