Brilliant suggestions ... Thanks Eelco and Jeremy.
In our proj we attach a behavior to TextField/TextArea like this, but tied
to a specifc event as "onblur".

public class ToUpperCaseBehavior extends AbstractBehavior {

    public void onComponentTag(Component component, ComponentTag tag){
        tag.put(getJsEvent(),"this.value = this.value.toUpperCase();");
    }

    protected String getJsEvent(){
        return "onblur";

Thanks for your pointers and hope other fellow wicketers find it useful.
Cheers,
Andy