In UPC.getSubject you can store the username in your custom session.

But you should be aware that in some very exotic situations this could
cause a stackoverflow.
And by exotic i mean calling session.login directly after you have
created a new session in Application.newSession. I don't think you
have to worry about that :)

Maurice