Hi Timo,

About the locale, I made a small jsp to show them.

- For the request, it is mine ( fr )
- For the response, it is specified as "en_US".

But does the locale have an impact on how the character are encoded?

PS: I have asked my hosting, they swore me that everything is setted to
UTF-8 on theire side...

I really don't understand what's going on... I did everything utf8, they did everything utf8, and in the end I got iso88591...

Thank you for your time

Timo Rantalaiho a écrit :
What are the locales of the machines (or the users running
the server software on the machines)?

I think that by default, Java assumes the character encoding
it gets from the operating system, but you can override it by explicitly setting the relevant system property, -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 or something like that.
The root problem is that property files are plain text files
that do not contain any metadata such as what encoding they
are written in, so anybody reading them just needs to assume
something. The same goes for Java source files. The problem
of property files is partially solved by using property XML
files, though it is a pity to lose the nice, simple property file syntax with the change.