OK, I asked about this earlier, but maybe the question didn't make sense.

Asking another, and perhaps better, way:

What problems do packaged resources address? I'm unsure as to why I would encapsulate resources in the package, rather than using them as I normally would via the WEB-INF tree.

It seems as though encapsulating them would present a problem with separation of concerns, in which one team might be focusing just on presentation (eg. CSS, etc.) while another handles just the Java code.

Using packaged resources would seem to require that the presentation people have access not only to the sources, but also to the dev platform to rebuild the package just to test CSS changes.

-David