In which case, maybe something along the lines of...

MyPage() {
  displayedName = "";
  setModel(new CompoundPropertyModel(new Customer(displayedName));
  Form form = new Form() {
    void onSubmit() {
      Customer customer = (Customer)getModelObject();
      if (!displayedName.equals(customer.getName()) {
        setModelObject(new Customer(customer.getName()));
      } else {
  add(form);
  form.add(new TextField("name"));

/Gwyn