it doesnt sound right. tomcat itself is writing out logs and i dont
think it uses jdk logging. so there must be at least a log4j jar
somewhere in tomcat install..

we have deployed in 5.5 and 6.0 previously and everything works fine.

-igor

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Frank Silbermann
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The lib directory in the QuickStart's WEB-INF contains:
>
>        log4j-1.2.14.jar
>        slf4j-api-1.4.2.jar
>        slf4j-log4j12-1.4.2.jar

>>> META-INF/services/org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.  The