Brill,

This is actually an API "best practice". Classes fall into two categories:
ones designed for subclassing, and ones designed to be final. The same goes
for methods. Swing is full of examples of what goes wrong when people
override methods in classes that haven't been designed with subclassing in
mind.

Gili