wicket doesnt care about the markup type in general, it works on xml.

however, header contributions are special because they are
html-specific so it is assumed that if you use header contributions
you are working with html. seems like a resonable approach from our
end of things.

i would say just run it through xslt to transform it to whatever you need.

-igor