I'm running on (quite) the same config.

Anyways, I think Serkan is right - > if you have an ajax component on the
page the date text field will stop working. He has another date text field,
I have a single date text field but on a modal window implemented as a panel
(if that even matters).

I think *the problem is here *:
->line 273 DatePicker

        if (AjaxRequestTarget.get() != null)
        {
            final String javascript = "var e = Wicket.$('" +
getEscapedComponentMarkupId() + "Dp" +
                    "'); if (e != null && typeof(e.parentNode) !=
'undefined' && " +
                    "typeof(e.parentNode.parentNode != 'undefined')) " +
                    "e.parentNode.parentNode.removeChild(e.parentNode);";

            response.renderJavascript(javascript, null);
        }

[javascript =
var e = Wicket.$('i1d6Dp'); if (e != null && typeof(e.parentNode) !=
'undefined' && typeof(e.parentNode.parentNode != 'undefined'))
e.parentNode.parentNode.removeChild(e.parentNode);]

This piece of code gets executed when I'm inside an ajax request (which is
our case). I think what it tries to clean is not doing very well. When I
have a (one) date text field on a regular page, that code will of course not
get executed. So I guess it's erasing yui magic, not cleaning up the html.

The only reason for the fact that the examples in wicket work (for modal +
date thingy) is because instead of an <input> tag, the date*field *uses