With the following markup:

                        <!-- list of books -->

It works ok with regular PaginNavigator or with this Ajax code:

topPagingNavigator = new AjaxPagingNavigator("topNavigator", books) {

            @Override
            protected void onAjaxEvent(AjaxRequestTarget target) {
                if (target != null) {
                    //Syncs bottom paging navigator
                    target.addComponent(bottomPagingNavigator);
                }

                super.onAjaxEvent(target);
            }
        };
        bottomPagingNavigator = new AjaxPagingNavigator("bottomNavigator",
books) {
            @Override
            protected void onAjaxEvent(AjaxRequestTarget target) {
                if (target != null) {
                    //Syncs top paging navigator
                    target.addComponent(topPagingNavigator);
                }

                super.onAjaxEvent(target);
            }
        };
        add(topPagingNavigator);
        add(bottomPagingNavigator);

I just wanted to avoid creating two components that do the same thing in the
same set of data (I just want to display it twice). I wonder if I might run
in the same problem whenever I want to display the same component in two
different places...