If you want to do in serverside (with wicked), you should add a wicket tag
to the 'li'.
 <li class="selectedItem" wicket:id="listItem"><a href="#"
wicket:id="homePageLink">Home</a></li>

the java/wicket code should look something like:

            WebMarkupContainer listItem=new WebMarkupContainer("listItem");
            listItem.add(new AttributeModifier("class",  new
Model("notSelectedItem")));
            listItem.add(new PageLink("homePageLink", HomePage.class)));
            add(listItem);

or as igor suggested, you could do it client side:
document.getElementById(link).parentNode.className="notSelectedItem";