On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Nick Heudecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Why did you move away from Seam?

It was a project for one of our clients. They let us pick the technology. We
first selected SEAM because we thought it would be easier for the  client to
take over the code once the app would switch to maintenance mode (JSF is a
standard, wicket is still an obscure framework, yadayadayada...).
We developed the first 75%  with SEAM. Everything worked great (functionally
speaking), the client was happy, but the code was hard to follow (xml config
files, triggers, etc.), the compile/test cycles were very long, the project
structure was too complex (we use maven: we needed 3 different modules to
produce the final ear file).
So, without telling the customer (and without charging them) we ported the
project to wicket. Huge win:
 - Simpler code
  - shorter compile/test cycle (with wicket we're launching the app with
embedded jetty during development)
  - shorted learning curve: it's easier to bring a developer up to speed on
a wicket project that it is on a jboss/seam one.
  - amazing support through the form

I'm not saying SEAM is a bad framework. It might even be better than Wicket,
or better suited for  some environments. But one thing is certain: it's a
lot more complex to master.