OK, I've raised WICKET-1808 to track it.

If anyone's interested, the following seems to work. Define the
following script on your page:

wicketAjaxBusy = function() {
    for (var c in Wicket.channelManager.channels) {
        if (Wicket.channelManager.channels[c].busy) {
            Wicket.Log.info("Channel " + c + " is busy");
            return true;
    Wicket.Log.info("No channels are busy");
    return false;
}

To wait for any AJAX calls to return, invoke the following Selenium API:

selenium.waitForCondition("!selenium.browserbot.getCurrentWindow().wicketAjaxBusy()",
"10000");

jk