Ooops sorry, did not think there would be any reply after a few days...

Implementing the varargs doesn't make this any nicer, I think. (Well, a
little bit...)
The current way does not seem very elegant to me, why would one want to pass
an array of propertymodels as a 4th param if all the data could be passed
using a single model in the 3rd param? It just does not look right in the
line of how elegant the very same works when there are no MessageFormat
features needed.

I will have a look at it when there's time... maybe I'll be able to post an
actual suggestion for improvement then, otherweise I will understand why it
is implemented as it currently is. ;-)