I have two panels, a view panel where you can look for news and an edit
panel.  The edit panel has a reference to a "news" object and all of it's
form elements have property models that use that object.

When I pass a news object into the panel on creation all of the form
elements fill as expected.  However, if I set that object through a setter
in the panel class, the elements do not update.  My theory (which may be
wrong) is that the property model makes a defensive copy and therefore is
not linked to the object in the class.  If this is true, can I resend the
object to the property model?

If that's not true, any insight as to what I may be doing wrong?