dlipski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First, problem description:
> Recently I was asked to change DropDownChoice field into
> AutoCompleteTextField.
> Everything was ok untill I noticed that old DropDownChoice field has
> attached OnChangeAjaxBehavior.
> Ofcourse what works well with DropDownChoice doesnt work as I want with
> AutoCompleteTextField.
> The problem is that I want to update a model after user selects one of
> choices(from autocomplete) not after any change of text field.
> I found getOnSelectJavascriptExpression method in
> AbstractAutoCompleteRenderer (since Wicket 1.4 ?) and I thought that it
> would be a good place to call some JS to update text field model.
> I looked at
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/calling-wicket-from-javascript.html to see
> how to call server side Wicket code from JavaScript.
> Next I had the idea to attach to text field
> AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior and call its getCallbackUrl() from
> JavaScript returned from mentioned earlier
> getOnSelectJavascriptExpression().
> The problem is that AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior expects event name
> in constructor  - in this case I dont need any onXXX event because I will
> call its getCallbackUrl() directly from JS.
>
> Now few questions:
> 1)How to update (via Ajax) model of some FormComponents from JavaScript?
> Do I have to attach AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior to some dummy event
> and call its getCallbackUrl() directly in JavaScript ? If so, its kind of
> hacking for me and AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior should provide
> no-argument constructor.
>
> 2)Does JavaScript returned from getOnSelectJavascriptExpression is called
> after corresponding TextField value has been set ?
>
> 3)At Wicket wiki I found description how to work with
> AutoCompleteTextField and Models:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/autocomplete-using-a-wicket-model.html
> I dont understand why this problem is not solved by subclassing directly
> form AutoCompleteTextField and overriding getConverter and provide some
> custom converter ?
>
> Ps. My colegue told me to attach AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior to
> onBlur event, maybe this is the solution ? (but still, for me better place
> to update a model is in Javasript from getOnSelectJavascriptExpression()
> than in onblur event handler...)
>
> Best regards
> Daniel

It was as simple as using a AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior... I was
confused because I started with OnChangeAjaxBehavior and it was broking
AutoCompleteTextField - thats why I started thinking of diffrent approaches.

BTW. Why AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior works well with
AutoCompleteTextField  and OnChangeAjaxBehavior doesnt ? Is it a bug in
OnChangeAjaxBehavior or the purpose of this class is different ?

Regards Daniel