Thanks to all who helped find this - yes, it was failing to validate my
input numeric "123.45".

I came up with this fix in my application class:

    protected IConverterLocator newConverterLocator() {
        converterLocator.set(Double.class, new AbstractDecimalConverter() {
            IConverter delegate = DoubleConverter.INSTANCE;

            @Override
            public String convertToString(final Object value, Locale locale)
            {
                return Currency.getInstance(locale).getSymbol() +
super.convertToString(value, locale);
            }
            @Override
            protected Class getTargetType() {
                return Double.class;
            }
            public Object convertToObject(String value, Locale locale) {
                if (value != null &&
value.startsWith(Currency.getInstance(locale).getSymbol()))
                    value = value.substring(1);
                return delegate.convertToObject(value, locale);
            }
        });

Thanks,
-- Jim.