Right - that would only work for POST since I believe the HTTP RFC limits GET
requests to 2 or 4K. By experience, in JSF, pushing state this way to the
webpage (base64 encoded and pk encrypted) has the benefits of request scope
(no thread-safety issue, no multi-browser issue etc.) while maintaining
benefits of session scope (resume a conversation, avoid hitting the database
etc.). I am not so much concerned with scalability as much as I am with
simplicity of not having to think about synchronization. Anyway, thanks for
the feedback guys.

/Casper