I have found myself some weird behaviors with PDFs and IE... E.g. when
trying to show a PDF in an iframe it would work for some "versions" of
IE 6 and not with others (same IE6 but not exactly the same "release").
I never discovered why. Did you tried tricking it to  think it is
downloading a  "real" PDF file? For instance, if you mounted a resource
try doing it like  "yyy/myfile.pdf". That  trick "fixed" my problem
with iframes. Also on [1] there are some recommendations for writing
servlets for servicing PDF, maybe you could find there some useful info.

Best,

Ernesto

[1] http://itextdocs.lowagie.com/tutorial/general/webapp/