I have a really elegant solution to this problem that is general enough to
go in core or extensions eventually (solves all of the above problems).

Actually, I'm putting together a short, but action-packed book called
"Twenty-Six Wicket Tricks" and the code for this problem is going to be
trick "F" (i'm halfway through the alphabet already). If anyone really
desperately wants this and they promise to give me feedback on it, they can
email me.