What kind of data provider are you giving it?  Couldn't you implement your
own ISortableDataProvider?

        ISortableDataProvider<Post> dp = new SortableDataProvider<Post>() {
            public Iterator<? extends Post> iterator(int first, int count) {
                // TODO Auto-generated method stub
                // use this property to determine if that's the column
selected.  then sort by it
                getSort().getProperty();
                return null;
            }
            public IModel<Post> model(Post object) {
                return new DBObjectDetachableModel<Post>(object);
            }
            public int size() {
                // TODO Auto-generated method stub
                return 0;