I tried overriding getDefaultChoice already, returning an empty string, this
did not work, unfortunately.

The 'Please choose one' option is not rendered, however the first 'normal'
option gets selected instead.
Also, inside AbstractSingleSelectChoice, there remains an empty string in
the options list, letting my ChoiceRenderer stumble when it tries to
interpret my idExpression :(

If there are any more ideas regarding to this, please let me know.

Thanks so far!

btw.: nullValid is the correct 'Please choose one' string resource key